Thursday, May 28, 2009

Blessings

Tuesday morning Jeremy got up and was getting ready for work and I realized I only had one meal to send with him and he needed two since he had to stay late for an evening meeting. I didn't want to go grocery shopping until Wednesday so I could take advantage of "double coupon day" so we had a bit of a problem. So as the day went on and I failed to be as thoughtful as I should have, it ended up that he called me on his way home and said he was starving, so I suggested he stop somewhere to pick up some dinner for himself.

His commute home is not a very long one, and there are several food places right across the street from us, so I expected to see him shortly. I know when we gets really hungry he kind of shuts down and his sole focus becomes obtaining food as quickly as possible. So when it seemed like a long time had passed and he still wasn't home I contemplated calling to check on him. Just then he called me and asked if his wallet was at our apartment because he couldn't find it. I looked and sure enough it was, which meant he had no means to pay for the dinner that he had just ordered.

Knowing that I didn't have much that I could pull together for him on short notice, and knowing that if he came home without food he was going to be grouchy, I said a quick prayer asking the Lord to give him some free food.

Sure enough a few minutes later he walked in with fresh Leeann Chin dinner for free!

Then tonight we went out to walk to the post office to mail a package. On our way down the alley we stopped at the dumpster to drop off a load of dirty diapers and Jeremy happened to glance inside the dumpster and see a bunch of girls shoes in there. I peeked in and said we should take them so Jeremy fished them out and we now have three perfectly fine pairs of shoes for Clara to wear in a year or two, and they were free! The tennis shoes can run through the wash and get some new shoelaces and they'll be great. I was excited that I can now say I've been "dumpster diving!"

3 comments:

Brenda and Dan said...

Both very cool stories.....never thought I would see you "dumpster diving" though. I'm waiting to hear how he got out of LeeAnn Chins with free dinner :)

Cristina said...

Yeah, we didn't set out to go dumpster diving. It just happened when we saw the shoes in there.

As for Leeann Chin, he had already ordered the food and they were near closing time. When he was ready to pay he couldn't find his wallet so he told them he had to go look in his car for it. He came back and said he didn't have his wallet and then they just said he could have the meal because otherwise they'd have to throw it away.

Brenda and Dan said...

Cool...of course we know he got the free dinner due to your prayer and God moving on your behalf.....He knows our needs :)