Monday, October 20, 2008

Another Doctor Update

So today is our due date and I'm still pregnant. We are so thankful that we've made it to 40 weeks with really no concern for the baby's health or mine, but at some point she does need to come out. :) Here's what the doctor had to say this morning...

I am still dilated one centimeter, but now I'm 80% effaced. While she was checking me she also stripped my membranes, in an effort to make something happen to get labor going. She said the baby is putting a lot of pressure on the amniotic sac (and on the lower half of my body which is causing my right foot, ankle and leg to be in an almost constant state of pudginess).

We also talked about what we will do if the baby continues to not be born. If she's not born by Thursday I will be back at the doctor's office for a bio-physical profile. This is a group of tests to make sure the placenta is still functioning well enough, that the baby is still doing well, that there's still enough amniotic fluid, etc. Although the doctor will let me go up to two weeks overdue, for multiple reasons she would prefer to induce me at one week overdue. Thankfully if it comes to that she said my cervix is progressed enough that they would be willing to just break my water and see if that starts labor, rather than going straight to drugs to start labor. So we're going to schedule an induction for next Monday so that they hold a spot for us, but we won't have to decide until the end of this week if we actually want to do the induction on Monday or if we want to wait longer. We're just praying though that she comes on her own before then. In fact, tonight would be great because it's my doctor's night to be on call and I'd really love for her to be able to deliver our baby.

So that's pretty much the scoop for now. We'll probably take the 40-week picture tonight when Jeremy comes home from work. Thanks for your prayers!

1 comment:

Ben and Kristi Graves said...

ahhh! she's going to be here so soon! :) praying in japan that she makes her appearance on her own, and in the next day or two! can't wait to hear the good news. love you!