Monday, March 23, 2009

Menu Plan Monday

Last week Jeremy had a cold. This week it looks like Clara and I are both joining in the fun. So although I'm still making my weekly menu plan, I also know that mom and baby being sick at the same time is not a good combo, so I won't be surprised if we don't stick to the plan completely.

M: Six-layer dish, homemade biscuits, pears
T: Pasta w/chicken and vodka sauce, frozen veggies
W: Leftovers
Th: Perch, baked potatoes, sweet corn
F: Brats, macaroni and cheese
Sa lunch: leftovers or sandwiches
Sa dinner: Macaroni tomato pie, garlic toast
Su lunch: French toast, fruit
Su dinner: Homemade pizza, carrots w/ranch dip

My sister was joking last night (or maybe not joking!) that she should just copy my menu each week, so I've included a couple recipes in case they interest you.

Six-layer Dish
Layer in order given in a 2 qt. greased casserole, seasoning each layer with salt and pepper.
-2 medium potatoes, sliced
-2 medium carrots, sliced
-1/3 cup uncooked rice
-2 small onions, sliced
-1 lb. ground beef
-1 qt. canned tomatoes
Sprinkle over:
-1 T. brown sugar
Bake at 300 degrees for 2.5 to 3 hours.

Macaroni Tomato Pie
Cook and drain accoring to package directions:
-1 cup macaroni
Grease a 9" pie plate and line sides and bottom with macaroni. Pour into macaroni shell:
-2 cups stewed tomatoes
Season with:
-1/4 t. pepper
-dash of oregano
-1 t. salt
Sprinkle over top:
-1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
-1/4 cup buttered bread crumbs
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until crumbs are brown.
[Option: brown and season 1/4 lb. ground beef. Add to pie just before shredded cheese.]

Both recipes taken from More-with-Less Cookbook by Doris Janzen Longacre. I have not tried either of them before so try them at your own risk. :)

1 comment:

Caryn said...

I have a cold too so I totally understand not sticking to any plans. I'm just trying to stick to the basics this week.