Friday, January 21, 2011

Simplify and Organize

This has been the theme of my life lately. I've always been anti-clutter and pro-organizing, but at the same time I've grown up in the culture of "bigger is better, if I want it I should have it now, stuff will make you happy" and I know at times I allow that type of thinking to take hold.

But really, how much stuff does one little family really need? Not as much as we have, I'm quite sure. So over the past several weeks I've been going through our stuff, gathering lots to donate and some to throw away (like socks with holes in them). And boy does it feel good!

I've gone through things like cookbooks, toys, toiletry items, socks, piles of paper. You name it, I've probably gone through it or else I will soon. Honestly, how many cookbooks do I need when I usually just search online for recipes? And how many pairs of underwear do I need when I do our laundry within 7-10 days of wearing it? And how many old magazines need to sit on our coffee table never being read?

Yeah, it feels really good to get this clutter out of our house and out of our lives. My focus right now is to simplify, organize and streamline our home life in order to make way for the best things like family time, teaching our girls about the Lord, playing outside (once it warms up), loving our neighbors, loving my husband, cooking healthy food, and serving at church, among other things.

I'm so thankful that the Lord has given me the "organizing gene." It really energizes me to make these changes in our home. I know that's not the case for everyone though. So if you're someone who doesn't enjoy organizing and you'd like some encouragement along the way, let me know. I'd be more than happy to come alongside you and encourage you in that.

4 comments:

Manda (+2) said...

Amen! And let me know if I can help ya help someone- I love organizing! Good for you! That's what I've been doing too.

Stephanie said...

I don't know if you have a place to donate all the stuff you're getting rid of, but the Takatas are accepting donations for a garage sale they're planning this spring to raise money for their adoption this summer.

Apryl Cerkas said...

I admire you for your organizing ability! We truly lack that in our house!

Cristina said...

Thanks, Stephanie! I was just gonna bring it to Hidden Treasures, but I'll check with Takatas. That's a great idea!