Thursday, January 6, 2011

Book #1: Bringing Up Girls

The other day I finished my first book of 2011, Bringing Up Girls, by James Dobson. To be honest, I read most of it in December of 2010 so maybe it's cheating to say I read it in 2011, but it's my blog and my resolutions so I can do what I want, right? Right.

This year my plan is to write a brief summary/review of each book that I read, mostly for my own benefit because my long-term memory isn't so good. It will be nice to be able to look back and remind myself what I liked or didn't like about certain books.

I did enjoy Bringing Up Girls; however, I didn't feel like it contained any new earth-shattering information for me. Probably because I myself am, in fact, a girl. I may be approaching thirty in a few short weeks, but I still remember what it's like to be a school-aged girl. That being said, I do plan to read this book again when my girls are a bit older because I think it will be more helpful to me then as we navigate the pre-teen and teen years with them.

I'm guessing most women would agree with me that this book isn't full of brand new information, but I think for fathers it could be an amazing help as they raise their daughters. There are three chapters specifically dealing with the impact that daddies have on their girls. The one that is probably most impactful is a transcript of Dr. Dobson talking with a group of college-age women about their own fathers. And the last chapter in the book is where he wraps it all up and talks briefly about what the Bible says about spiritually training our children. If Jeremy only reads those four chapters for now, I'll be pleased.

I do own this book so if anyone is ever interested in borrowing it, let me know. I'm happy to lend my books out as long as they come back in a semi-timely manner in order to be available to others.

Next up, Don't Make Me Count to Three. I've read it once before, but I think that was before Clara was even one so I think it would be very beneficial to read it again now that she does more than just sit in one spot on the floor and play with some toys.

No comments: