Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Christmas Tradition...frugal style

When I was growing up, one of our traditions was my parents gave each of us a new ornament each Christmas. The idea was that when we became adults and we moved out on our own we'd have some ornaments to start our own tree with. We always eagerly looked forward to finding out what our new ornament would be. Because I loved that tradition so much I wanted us to do that for our girls too.

This year Lola got a "baby's first Christmas" ornament from Hallmark, which I justified splurging on because it's a photo frame ornament and I really like being able to see what my baby looked like on her first Christmas.

However, I couldn't justify splurging on an ornament for Clara because the bucks are tight around here. Plus she's young enough yet to not notice the difference in ornaments, or even to realize that Lola got an ornament. I wanted an Elmo ornament for Clara because when I think of her at two years old, I think of the fact that she really likes Elmo and Sesame Street.

So to get to the point here, I made her an Elmo ornament out of felt. And it actually turned out cuter than I thought it would. And she loves it! I gave it to her this morning and let her put it on the tree.




One Elmo ornament made using supplies we already had on hand... $0!

1 comment:

Brenda and Dan said...

Very cute...she will love it even more when she is a "Mommy" :)