Monday, January 30, 2012

Book Review: One Thousand Gifts

January was a month of reading for me. I finished book #3 on Saturday while sitting in the ER with Jeremy, and I'm partway through three more books. One of those I'm purposely only reading one chapter a week so it will be a few months before I finish that one.

Anyway, book #3 was One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are by Ann Voskamp. I promise I don't LOVE every book that I read, but so far in 2012 I have loved every book I've read. However, One Thousand Gifts is the first book that I feel the need to buy and add to my permanent collection. It is so loaded with good stuff that it's just not possible to retain it all on the first read through.

The book tells the story of Ann's journey with the Lord as He taught her that He is good, all the time, no matter what. God showers us with grace and good gifts and we only need to open our eyes to see and receive. Ann writes with great imagery and helps you to see things in a way you maybe never have before. (Honestly her style is one that I'm not used to and I struggled with it at first, but it grew on me.)

The last half of 2011 was quite difficult for me as a parent. I really struggled to feel joy in my calling as a mother and I became painfully aware of my sinfulness, the depths of which I have never felt before. God and I are still on a journey that is helping me to embrace my calling as a mother and to love my children well and this book was probably one of the best that I could have read to help me along on that journey.

2 comments:

Caryn said...

I'm reading this book right now & I so agree with what you said. It's a must read and it's helping me as I fight for joy often in my mothering.

Our family... said...

I finished this book a couple weeks ago. I have found being thankful a great way to fight sin (especially anger and self pity) as well as to create joy. I just started actually trying to write down my lists instead of just doing it in my head. :)