Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Book Review: Choosing to See

Last night I finished my second book of 2012. It only took me about 72 hours to read! What can I say... I guess I like memoirs.

It's called Choosing to See by Mary Beth Chapman (Steven Curtis Chapman's wife). You probably remember that their 5-year-old daughter died in 2008 after being struck by a car in their driveway. I had this book on my list to read last year and I think I was scared to read it because I thought it would be too sad. So this year I put it on my list again and, as luck would have it, it's one of the few books I could get my hands on at the library right now. I cracked the cover Saturday evening after the girls went to bed and I'm so glad I did.

The book is really about Mary Beth's life and her struggle to let go of her ideas of what her life should look like and instead let God write the story of her life. Most of it isn't sad, and several times I was actually laughing out loud, but do have a box of kleenex handy when you get toward the end of the book. As I was reading Sunday night, tears were streaming down my face for several chapters.

Despite the fact that their hearts were breaking, the Chapman family responded to their tragedy in a way that was so honoring to the Lord. It was a blessing to me to read it and I definitely recommend it to anyone.

No comments: