Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Book Review: The Dirty Life - On Farming, Food and Love

Every January I like to make a list of books that I want to read that year. I think it helps me focus. Plus I love being able to look back and see what I've read recently. For example, I looked back at the list of books that I read in 2011 and was a bit surprised to find that most of the books were about parenting. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised considering that the second half of 2011 was especially challenging for me as a parent. I must have been looking for some help!

I just finished posting my 2012 reading list and already I have finished reading one of the books. Jeremy picked it up from the library last Friday evening and I finished it this morning. So it probably goes without saying that I loved it and found it to be a very quick read! It's called The Dirty Life: On Farming, Food and Love by Kristin Kimball. It's her memoir of being a city girl who fell in love with a farmer, married him and started a farm/CSA with him.

Over the past couple years I've become very interested in what I'm eating and serving my family, wanting to know where our food is coming from, wanting to eat fresh whole foods and such, and with that I've had a growing desire to move to the country and grow/raise more food for ourselves. And maybe somewhere deep down I have a crazy dream of being farmers.

Well let me tell you, this book takes all romantic notions of farming out of the picture and slaps you in the face with the harsh realities of what it takes. The things that the author has done (and has eaten) definitely make me think I could never do it! Farmers are amazing!

But the book was fascinating and entertaining to read. I couldn't put it down because I always wanted to know what crazy situation they would encounter next. If you have any interest in food or farming, I'd highly recommend reading this book.

No comments: