Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Book Review: The Help

I am so behind on these book reviews! Most of you probably don't even care about them, but I want to post them anyway so I can look back at them down the road if I need a refresher on what they were about and what I liked or didn't like about them. So here goes...

When the movie The Help came out last year everyone was raving about it. And raving about the book version, which I had not read or even heard of at that point. This year I decided I should read the book and then watch the movie and I have to say that I LOVED the book. The movie was great too, but it had to skip over a lot of the great details in order to keep it to a reasonable length.

The Help by Kathryn Stockett is a fictional book about black maids working for white women in Mississippi in the 1960's and the budding young journalist (white female) who dares to write down their stories and have them published into a book. The book deals with the very serious issue of civil rights, but in a way that draws the reader in and entertains you. The characters are phenomenal and I found myself really loving (and in some cases, hating) them. If you've seen the movie, but haven't read the book, you should really read it because there is so much more to it. Two thumbs up from me!

No comments: