Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Proof of a Quiet Book

Have any of you noticed the button in the sidebar of my blog that says I'm working on a quiet book? It's been there since last Spring I think. We'll here's some proof that I truly am working on a quiet book. It's one of those projects that takes quite a long time so I work on it in spurts. I hadn't worked on it for several months, but then a few weeks ago we took a road trip to Wisconsin and I was wishing I had gotten more of the book done so we could have brought it for Clara to play with in the car. Knowing that we'd be taking another road trip this weekend I resurrected the project and have made some good progress on it in the past few days.

Here's the cover. Obviously I'll be making one for Lola too some day.

A gumball machine that has gumballs that velcro onto matching colored circles that are sewed down.

A place setting with a bag of food. I'm planning to make more food, but for now it's enough to use these pages.


Noah's Ark with finger puppets.

Back cover.

And some pages in progress...

A doll that will have clothes for dress up.

and a tree that will have flowers, summer leaves, and fall leaves that snap onto it. When they're not in use they will be stored in the "grass" pocket.

I'm also working on a mailbox page that she'll be able to put notes into.

I got inspiration and some templates from Serving Pink Lemonade and Homemade by Jill and How to Make a Quiet Book. The great thing about quiet books is that you can really do whatever you want. If you Google "quiet book" you'll find all sorts of examples of different ways people make quiet books. It's all personal preference.

When I first started this book for Clara I was intending to sew it all by hand with cute stitching, but now I've decided it will take FOREVER to do it that way. I'm now doing some by hand, but a lot by machine. I've even used a bit of hot glue in a few spots! So it's totally a project that you can tailor to your skill level, amount of time, and budget. And whatever you make, your kids will love.

8 comments:

TiemannFamily said...

WOW! That is so neat, I haven't ever seen something like that! I think even I could make one (I am not crafty at all!) That would be great for the road trips. I may have to work on a couple for my boy's. Thanks for sharing :D

Tara said...

I must admit I saw the "I'm making a quiet book" link on your blog last year, and recently wondered how your progress was going (only because I think it's such a neat idea and wanted to see yours!)! :) I had one when I was little and LOVED it. Wish I could sew ... yours is just beautiful!

Angela said...

You are awesome and the book is super cool! Way to go! Clara is a lucky girl to have such a talented mommy!

Kristi Face said...

that is AWESOME!!!!!! :) love it.

ashleytiberi said...

Oh my gosh, that quiet book is so amazing. I just found one at Troy's parents' house this past year that his grandma made for him when he was about three. It has a teepee that zips, and little leather shoe that ties, color and shape matching pages (like your gumball page), and lots more. SO cute, and I can't wait for Calais to be old enough to use it!

I will have to come up with something like that myself. It looks like a fun long term project. I think mine will be mostly glue-gunned, with some hand stitching in there. :)

Can't wait to see more pages as you complete them!

Love,
Ashley

Ashley said...

very cute

Jeanna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeanna said...

Wow!! Thank you so much for sharing :D