Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Why Lola?


Well I tried several times yesterday to get another post up here, but between feeding myself, feeding Lola, and having family and doctors and nurses in and out of our room I never was able to get something fully written. Now we are home, Clara is playing and Lola is sleeping so I'm trying again.

We have lots more pictures that we can share, and of course the birth story for those of you who are interested in that, but I thought it might be nice first to share why we chose the name that we did for our little girl.

My philosophy on naming our kids is to choose a name either for its meaning or to name them after someone significant to us. Clara was named after my great-grandma Clara and Jeremy's great-grandma Josephine, but we chose the name for this new baby based on its meaning.

Lola means 'crowned with compassion and grace.' We heard it on a TV show one night and thought it was cute so we looked up the meaning and loved it! Jeremy was pretty sold on it right away, but I still had another name or two that I liked a lot. Over time I came to like the name Lola more and more, but then we couldn't agree on a middle name to go with it. Then last week a friend of mine suggested using my name as a middle name, which we hadn't thought of at all. When I told Jeremy the idea he liked it a lot. We didn't think Lola Cristina sounded right so we went with Cristine instead, which means 'follower of Christ.' So that's how she got her name.

3 comments:

Jess said...

Great name!

Krissa said...

Both names have beautiful meanings and I'm so glad you shared with us how you decided on it. I pray she lives up to her name in everyway!! Congrats

Caryn said...

Beautiful!