Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Heavenly Man

So I finished the book The Heavenly Man shortly before our trip to Philadelphia, and I thought for sure I had posted something about it, but I just looked and it's not there so I must have imagined that.

Well I read the book because I wanted to learn more about China. The Heavenly Man is about a man who became a christian in China during a time of great persecution. It's his story of bold faith and incredible trust in God in the midst of intense physical persecution. He was imprisoned multiple times, beaten to near death many times, seperated from his family, and still for the most part was filled with joy and peace and continued to spread the good news of Christ.

I felt the book was a little slow to suck me in, but I kept reading it and pretty soon I couldn't put it down. The things that encouraged me the most were the stories of incredible protection and provision that he told. God cared for him in amazing ways, like once allowing him to literally walk right out of a prison, past several guards, and evidently not be seen by them. We serve an amazing God!

No comments: